6/02/2005

My Philosophy of life

Nothing in the news struck my interest this morning, so let me share what I call my philosophy of life:

Always be content. Never be satisfied.

You were expecting Plato? It sounds contradictory, doesn’t it? Perhaps I should explain what I mean. My work will serve as an illustration. I am content in my job. I like the people I work for and with. I enjoy what I do. When I drive in each morning I look forward to going there. All of that is a choice. A choice I’ve made. I could have made the choice to focus on negatives, but I don’t, so I am content with my job. That’s not the same as being satisfied. I want more. More challenges, more responsibility, more recognition, more money. Here is where this all comes together. It is my belief that many, if not most, people get it reversed. They’re satisfied with their job, but they’re not content. I see this a lot with co-workers of all ages. The attitude of, “This job is awful, but I can’t find anything better” is heard repeatedly.

Your personal life can be treated the same way. I am content with my life; the things I have, the relationships I enjoy, the activities I participate in. Still, I never want to become satisfied. Relationships need to be growing. I could be more active in things I want to pursue. And things, if acquired with the proper attitude, priority, and perspective, can make life more enjoyable. To go through life only being satisfied, but never being content must be miserable. It’s the philosophy of settling for.

How about in the political arena? What? You thought I was going to ignore politics all together this morning?

One group (I’ll let you figure out which is which. I know you can do it) believes that America is great. In fact they think that it’s the greatest country in the world and the greatest political system ever devised by man. They feel that our businesses, our institutions, our systems, and most of all our people, are outstanding. Yet, they work and strive and desire to become even greater. They’re content with what we as a country are now, but not satisfied, knowing that we can be even better.

How about the other group? What do they believe about America and its’ people? Our businesses are inherently corrupt, our institutions unable to make proper choices without government telling them what those choices should be. And the people? They can’t make it on their own. Government has to provide and take care of you, because you can’t do it yourself. At least not “correctly”. They are far from content, believing that things are just awful, but satisfied that this is “the way things are.” I don’t see how they face each morning with this attitude.

Because I face life (and politics) with my philosophy everything is alright. I believe that those who share my view will always come out ahead. Well, that’s what I think this morning. Have a great day.