6/01/2005

Being a Christian

Stan Guthrie has a great interview with David Limbaugh. He sums up my feelings very well saying,
“As Christians, I think we owe it to Christ to speak the truth and not to cower from it for fear of disapproval by the popular culture. I don’t want to wear it on my sleeve or turn people off by getting in their faces, but I do believe I should boldly proclaim my faith and discuss it in my columns when it is relevant to the topic I’m discussing.”
This is exactly right and it is still a right that hasn’t been taken away, despite what you may have read in the MSM. We have gone from a culture that accepted the Christian Church and it’s ideals to one that tolerates publicly any religion but Christianity. The liberal rant that Christians are trying to turn America into a theocracy are as relentless as they are baseless. Evangelical Christians, in general, don’t want to turn America into a Christian State, but would rather lead individuals to Christ. No written laws can control behavior; they can only prescribe consequences for their violation. A truly changed heart needs no additional laws. Behavior is determined by belief, not fear of consequences.

Are Christians perfect? No. Are all who call themselves Christians really believers? No. Do true Christians always behave correctly? No. Of course not. Yet, all of these are brought up as reasons to keep Christians out of the public discourse. What the left doesn’t seem to grasp is that Christianity is something that becomes, not a part of you but, a reshaping of who you are. We are being asked to check our Christianity at the door. But it can’t be done. It’s not a coat or hat that we wear on special occasions, but it is as much a part of our being as the color of our eyes or the size of our feet.

I encourage you to read the whole interview. David presents a great case for tolerant-intolerance becoming real intolerance becoming persecution. We can not allow it to happen and survive as a nation.